Monday, August 29, 2022

Como Las Movies

One Liner: Austin purveyor of psychedelia cumbia supreme

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but cumbia?
Home: Austin

Poster Position: brand new addition to the lineup!
Weekend Two Only.  Saturday.

Thoughts:  "Como Las Movies is an indie-cumbia-pop project from Austin led by chief songwriter Nelson Valente Aguilar. An Austinite by way of border town McAllen, Texas, Aguilar combines his pan-Latin and pop musical influences into a duality that has been endearingly referred to as the Nuevo Wave sound."  One of his bandmates looks like Jon Hamm in a wig.  Not much that I can easily find that is written about them, just blurbs like the one I copied above.  I did find a Chronicle article in which he cops to being a Fifth Grade teacher.  Which would be really hard!  But otherwise the article is kind of an uninteresting piece about how he is coping with COVID lockdowns.

I was going to dismiss this - I'm not much for cumbias and can't speak Spanish, but this is kinda weird stuff that bends the traditional sound into a fun angle.  "Cumbia De Los Monjes" has some trippy ass synth lines that kick it up a notch.  After I am done listening to it, it will have 7,777 streams - MAGIC! - and I win a prize.
737 views of that video, I need to watch it 40 times so that all versions of the song are on all 7s!  Psych cumbia!  Their top track was chosen for a Spotify playlist, so now it has 83k streams.  the confusingly named "?Ypqsp?"  This is a live version made for the Tiny Desk Concert contest, but you'll catch the flavor.  See be-wigged Jon Hamm back there on the bass?  

Kind of interesting, but I doubt I'd do it.

No comments: