Monday, August 22, 2022

Lilyisthatyou

One Liner: Overly sexualized pop garbage for the TikTok age

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but this is pop
Home: Toronto

Poster Position: 28
Weekend One Only.  Friday.

Thoughts:  I just involuntarily made a sound like a garbage disposal getting stuck on a cherry pit.  This is definitely not aimed at me.  As I listen, my face is drawn down in a grimace that would make the Bitter Beer Face guy jealous.

I need to write this up quickly so that I can move on from listening to her.  Lily Davies.  21 years old.  Her big hit was a huge TikTok viral tune, but after a meteoric first day, TikTok quickly removed it from the service (likely because it is called "Fuck Me Right Now" and that broke TikTok guidelines).  After some work between her management and the suits at TT, she got it back on the app, and the drama provided more momentum for the tune.  The exposure ended up getting her a Gold record and a deal with Warner Records.
Nope.  Don't like that at all, and I especially don't like the idea that my girls have likely heard that garbage.  Just a terrible song.

She's from Toronto and was raised by two musician parents.  She grew up making videos of herself singing and dancing.  She says she is inspired by Avril, Doja, Brittney, and Rihanna, and part of her sex-positive lyrics rise from her inspiration by those ladies.  Her other hit is "Purity," which says "I’m a slut, I’m a whore, I don’t care I want it more, there’s no such thing as purity.”

Only seven songs available on Spotify, which is great so that I can escape this without being forced to do a whole album.  They are all from 2021 or 2022.  "Party 22" is the one that made me make an involuntary noise.  Just awful stuff.  Oh wait, "Moderation" sucks ass too.

No comments: