Monday, August 29, 2022

Jake Lloyd

One Liner: Local rapper and R&B crooner with the same name as kiddo Skywalker

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but I'll say R&B, hip hop, soul
Home:  Austin

Poster Position: 28

Weekend Two Only. Saturday.

Thoughts:  I remember his name from listening to local guy Deezie Brown, this dude appeared on some tracks with him, and so I expect that he is also a local.  You know how else you might know this name?  Jake Lloyd is the name of the dude who played kiddie Anakin Skywalker in the prequel movies.  The kid who said all of those terrible lines, fell in love with Queen Amidala (sp?) when it was super inappropriate, and drove a mean podracer.  Now he looks like he might murder people in his spare time.  Oh, actually, now after reading about him that is not especially funny.  He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and has been arrested and assaulted his mom and is in a psych facility.  Man, that got dark.  I might change my rapper name if I were this dude.

This guy is an alternative R&B guy from Austin who has in fact collaborated with Deezie Brown on at least one album - Geto Gala.  He has also collaborated with other ACL artist Primo the Alien.  But there really is very little I can find out on the Internet that describes who he is.  He has two kids and works at a place called GRAV.  He plays lots of shows around Austin.  KUTX chose him as the artist of the month once.

Two albums - 2018's JLLP and 2019's MoonLit Mornings, and then singles and EPs after that.  I definitely enjoy the ones that sound more like rap than those that are straight R&B.  HIs voice is nice, but they just aren't that interesting as whole songs in the R&B vein.  HIs most popular track by a bunch is "Cold Summer," a 2021 single.  122k streams.
woah, those things in his ears are really big!  Funky little track, its good stuff.  I like the decision to film him rapping in front of a backyard garden.  What is up with that?  I'll also give you his newest single, "Sweat."  Only 6,718 streams so far.
Nice throw-backs to some other classic songs.  I dig the funk in that song, although I wish it had a little more ooomph.  Definitely sounds like it was recorded in his living room, and not a legit studio (although what the hell do I know?).

I won't be around on Saturday of Weekend Two, but this guy is talented enough to go catch it.

No comments: