Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Trampled by Turtles

Banjo-fueled Bluegrass action.  My sister-in-law put me on these guys a few years ago, based on their ridiculously fast jam fest called Wait So Long:


I mean, that opening banjo twigging sounds like that banjo has been looped and is playing at 2x speed on a turntable.  Holy smokes!  How do fingers go that freaking fast?  And then the rest of the band kicks in with a likewise frantic speed, blazing through a wicked hoedown battle with the devil.  Fun stuff.

They just put a new album out recently, called Wild Animals.  I only see one song available on YouTube so far, which is a good one (but not my favorite of the album):



This one has a few moments where that technical savvy and speed show up, but for the most part it is a harmonic album of chilled tunes that happen to have a bluegrass leaning.  Brings to mind the Band of Horses albums from the mid-oughts.  Makes me want to drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway with my windows rolled down.  Give this one a shot.

No comments: