Wednesday, July 16, 2014

ACL Daily Band List Thoughts (and the powerful bummer of overlapping bands)

This morning was the much vaunted announcement of single day lineups for ACL Fest.  Which I was excited about, until I realized that they don't actually mean that they are providing me with the scheduling grids so that I can obsess about the injustice of missing out on Beck in favor of Outkast.  Instead, they have just released a more generic listing of all bands playing on each day so that a single-ticket-buying person can figure out which day to go enjoy.

http://www.aclfestival.com/2014-lineup-by-day-weekend-one/

So, I think I will prepare a more detailed schedule listing once they actually release the full schedule grid, but I have a few thoughts that bring me sadness.

On Friday, it looks like I will have to choose between Outkast and Beck.  Which sucks big time.  I have seen Beck before, so I'll likely choose Outkast, but I am sincerely bummed that I can't enjoy another Beck show, especially right now when his new album is so locked in on my head.  Hopefully Chvrches will be playing the same stage as Outkast and I can just stay right there and enjoy both in a row.  Which likely means I am going to miss out on St. Vincent, which also bums me out.

On Saturday, I bet that Skrillex and Eminem are up against each other, as well as the Avett Brothers vs. Head and the Heart.  That sucks.  I feel like I have to go see Eminem, although I'd love to experience a Skrillex show.  Maybe one of these days I'm going to have to buy tickets for both weekends.  (Just kidding darling wife!  Just kidding!)  And the Avetts will win out over Head and the Heart, but that is weak sauce.

Sunday night will be ruled by Pearl Jam.  I have no issue with missing Calvin Harris or Zedd or the Replacements.  But the bands just prior to that matchup are going to hurt me.  I'd love to get to see Spoon, Fitz & the Tantrums, Gaslight Anthem, Turnpike Troubadours, and Real Estate.  But those bands are all jumbled up in the upper middle of the lineup, meaning that I'll likely miss out on a bunch of them.  it would be awesome if two of those led up to the Pearl Jam show so that I could just hang at that stage all evening.  We'll see how that shakes out.

Who else is getting excited?  I definitely am.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

Get ready for some high fives and inappropriate hugs on October 5!