Thursday, July 31, 2014

Vic Mensa

Er, not sure when they added him to the lineup.  And Spotify has zero for me to go on.  I did manage to find videos on YouTube of the guy, and it sounds like he's got some of the intelligent rap stuff going on here.  According to the Internets, he is part of the Chance the Rapper posse in Chicago, which totally sounds right on the second video down there.  This first one, with over a million views, sounds like a b-side from the Disclosure/Sam Smith sessions.  My first impression was that this was weak, but after a second listen, its actually pretty snappy.



The start of this next one is weird, some pre-teen show on Nickelodeon or something.  Tune is called Orange Soda.  I need to find re-runs of You Can't Do That On Television to show to my kids.  I can guarantee you my son would dig that stuff in a major way when people got the green slime poured on them.   


 One more, called Feel That, which feels a little bit like when Lil Wayne wanted to clown by doing Lollipop:


(is that Mandy Moore in the video at about 2:28?)

From these three videos, I have no clue what to think of this guy.  First, he hooked up some EDM/disco music to rap and sign along with.  Second, he goes backpack rapper with a simple little beat and verbose rap.  Third, he goes mainstream rap where the beat takes the reins because the rap is so repetitive and generic.  Whatever, if I am at the park by 1 on Sunday, I'd like to go see Reuben and the Dark anyway.

No comments: