Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Schedule! Saturday Thoughts.

Saturday is going to be a fantastic day.  It is going to be long, and I'll have to gird my loins, but I think it is going to be awesome to see some of these new bands for the first time.

12:30:  I'm going to go see Spanish Gold.  I don't care if it destroys me for the rest of the weekend to get there at lunchtime.  I'm kind of bummed to not get to experience Benjamin Booker, but I'm going to survive. Spanish Gold are already making an individualized plan to rock my face off and make sweet sweet to my ears. Unbelievable that they are in the early slots - they should be headlining the whole damn thing.

2:00:  Falls.  I can imagine how this scene will look, because it is exactly how I watched Dawes last year.  Sitting back from the stage, enjoying this band's beautiful harmony while sipping on a cold and extremely overpriced tallboy.

3:30:  Kodaline.  I plan on taking some kleenex, for all the grown men standing around me who will be bawling and thinking about their long lost loves and favorite pets and stuff.

4:30:  Head & the Heart.  Although I might be talked into seeing Interpol, who have grown on me more and more as I have listened to their last two albums over the past month.

5:30:  Lucius.  Speaking of growing on me, these guys are like my beer gut.  Sneaking up on me until I hardly notice they are always with me.  I started off unimpressed, but I have listened to their album a few more times recently and it is a damn fine thing.  I know I should probably go watch the train wreck that is Iggy Azalea, but I just can't get over the thought that she is Vanilla Ice for a new generation.  #Vanilliggy

6:30:  Avett Brothers!  Damn right.  I hope they come strong like a few years ago when their set was the perfect pre-show party before the Chili Peppers.  Loving their new album.  Also, a very easy decision, to not go see Lana Del Rey, Johnnyswim, or Beats Antique.  Easiest decision of the entire weekend.

8:30: Eminem.  I am very hopeful that he sticks to his old school music and not his newer Rihanna ballads.  I fear that, because they are touring together this summer, she will be there and we will have to hold hands and sway through Love the Way You Lie and Monster for 20 minutes instead of hearing about drug-addled murders and other happy things.  His most recent set in London (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eminem/2014/wembley-stadium-london-england-5bc1db18.html) looks promising, but he only has an hour and a half in Austin, so there is no way he'll be able to do all 35 of those songs here.  I know I'll go for Em in this slot, but I am definitely bummed about missing out on Skrillex.  Even though I don't know much about Skrillex. But that one Bangarang song, man, if I ever make a jillion dollars somehow and throw myself a huge birthday party on a private yacht in my private ocean, I'm definitely going to have him come and play that song on repeat for 2 hours while I kick people overboard.

3 comments:

Joseph Cathey said...

Tell Kodaline I love them. I love them so very, very much.

Jen Beltz said...

I'm dying laughing at the visual of you on a yacht with Skrillex on repeat as you kick people overboard. DYING! And yet, it is spot on. I love that song!

So jealous you got to see CHVRCHES and Hozier - I love them!!

Jack said...

Sadly, each of you mentioned one of the bands that bailed out of the 'fest. I bet people at the second weekend will get to see Hozier, as his issue was apparently just sickness, but Kodaline is cancelled for good because of a broken wrist for their bassist. Lame. BUT, I do get to see Skrillex tomorrow night at Stubb's, so I'll let you know how the kicking people dream turns out.