Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Schedule! Sunday Thoughts.

Sunday is going to have my most difficult decisions.  I don't think I have the stomach to make these decisions just yet.  My initial impression:

12:15: Going to be another early day.  Either MODOC or The Districts.  Both are solidly fun rock and roll.  Not sure which one I want to see more - I would have leaned towards MODOC before, but after listening to The Districts again, they are pretty dang good.

1:00: Likely do Reuben and the Dark.  They just added a new artist in this slot (Vic Mensa) who might be fun to go see, but I think I'll likely go with Reuben.

2:00:  Nikki Lane.  I may just stick around for half of her show so that I can go see part of Jamestown Revival (another new addition).  I have a feeling my buddy Jason is going to want to go see Kongos instead.

3:00: Cults.  I have liked their albums even more after listening over time.  I hope that music translates well to the big stage.  High Road and I Can Hardly Make You Mine are both jams.

4:00:   Uggggghhh.  (That is not a band name, well, it probably is, but they are not playing this slot at ACL).  Fitz & the Tantrums vs. The Gaslight Anthem.  Uggghhhh.  I've never seen either before.  I like both of them quite a bit.  I can see myself doing sweaty and very constricted 80's dances to Fitz and enjoying myself immensely.  I can see myself pumping my fist in the air and screaming along to Gaslight with a couple thousand other bad ass people.  I am leaning towards Gaslight, but I just don't know here.

As a quick aside, have you ever played with Flickchart?  I forget who sent it to me a couple of years ago, I played with it a lot then and have not messed with it again for years, but it is a fantastic way to rank movies because it makes you choose between two films, over and over until it figures out their hierarchy.  I wish they would do that for music, then I could scientifically determine the answer to my conundrum.

5:00:  Real Estate.  No hesitation.  So great.

6:00:  Uggghhhhh again.  Why is Lettuce playing during this time slot?  Can't they play during an early afternoon slot against Bernhoft and Steve Songs?  I think they would be an amazing funkified party.  And even more than that, I really want to see Spoon play.  But I bet I need to just go see The Replacements at the Samsung Stage so that I can be reasonably close to Pearl Jam for the headliner slot.  Dammit.  if only Spoon was at that stage...  Oh well.  My guess is that I see Paul Westerberg and his buddies tear through their set and like it anyway.  I'll just have to see Spoon another time.

7:00:  Which leads me to the depressing conclusion that I will not get to see the Turnpike Troubadours.  Such a bummer.  I have come to like them quite a bit, but if I am going to squeeze my way up to the 98th row to see Pearl Jam, then there is just no way I'm going to get to hustle over to the Austin Ventures stage and then get anywhere near the Pearl Jam show.

8:00:  Pearl Jam.  I am really excited about this show.  Saw them three times back in the 90's, but haven't seen them since.  I expect greatness.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

About to go through your blog on the earlier shows to determine what to go see. Obviously the 4pm decision is an easy one! You go see Gaslight Anthem with me and Jessica, and you get tickets to see Fitz at Stubbs later that week...also with me and Jessica. Duh.