Friday, July 10, 2015

Sylvan Esso

Electro-folk?  Not sure how to categorize this, but its electronic tunes with a nice voice over the top singing a kind of halting, soft poetry.  In the Postal Service vein of electronic.  One album, 2014's Sylvan Esso, with one large hit (19.9 million spins) for "Coffee"
Tight song.  Such a light touch, but it draws me right on in.  Lyrics are inscrutable, but who doesn't want to boogie to someone saying "Get up, Get down" over and over?  The second most-listened to song on Spotify is from that same album, and is called "Hey Mami"
Just over 8.1 million listens.  Thought it said Hey Miami for the first few times I looked at that song title, but they are obviously saying "Hey Mami" over and over again in the song. Nothing much to the song, just some hand claps, background singers, and the sounds of a street, until an electronic wobbling thump comes along to bounce along under the melody.

I have run through the album and some remixes a few times, and it is enjoyable stuff.  Not really up my alley, so I doubt I'll seek it out at the festival, but it has been nice music to have playing underneath my work for a day.

No comments: