Friday, July 10, 2015

Waxahatchee

Fuzzy lo-fi indie tunes.  I reviewed her most recent album a few months ago, and liked it a good bit. That album, Ivy Tripp, came out in early 2015 and won some critical praise.  This is a gal from Alabama named Katie Crutchfield.  The video I used back then to a song is the third-most-listened-to track for her, and I like it so much that I'm going back there again.  This is "Under a Rock," which has 363k spins.
Her most popular track is called "La Loose," but her most listened to track is called "Air," with 763k listens on Spotify.
Heavy does of 90's nostalgia for me on these tunes.  I like it.  And her album just before that, 2013's Cerulean Salt, was also a good groove of alt-rock crunch and fuzz.  However, all of her top ten on Spotify is now taken up with the Ivy Tripp songs.  Her YouTube artists insights page has an unexplained spike in views - 11,995 on April 2.  Before and after that, she is more in the 1k to 3k a day range.  Weird.  Austin is her #16 city, right in between Vienna and Montreal.  Her top song on YouTube is from her first album, American Weekend (2012), called "Be Good."
That first album is more like this, tinny in sound, extremely home-made vibe.  Not nearly as good as the later two albums.  I'd go check her out if the schedule aligns the right way.

No comments: