Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Rankings: Silver Medal

The next tier are bands that I'd like to go see, but that will definitely lose out when compared to the top tier.  These are all good stuff - some I already knew (Sturgill Simpson, Dwight Yoakam, Drake) but others are brand new music I'd never heard of but I liked a lot (Leon Bridges, Residual Kid, In the Whale).  Schedule should be announced tomorrow!

Sturgill Simpson - classic country redux with an edge
Of Monsters and Men - Love themselves some Crystal Light
Residual Kid - children jamming better than most of the lineup
Run the Jewels - dope rap.  You should go watch the video for "Close Your Eyes." Seriously.  Go do it.
Jose Gonzalez - gentle indie beauty.
Leon Bridges - silky smooth old school soul.  Need some of this in my life.
Father John Misty - skilled lyricist and excellent music.
Houndmouth - Shaggy, fun, jammy rock.
Dwight Yoakam - classic country with a touch of punk sense.
Shakey Graves - local, raw rock
The Maccabees - English rock jams
Bassnectar - bass bass and more bass.  Best of the EDM for me.
Ume - kick ass local grungy rock
Drake - I'll probably go do it, but I'm not terribly excited about it.
Disclosure - Probably the best real music of the electronic people.
Talk in Tongues - really great psych rock and old school sounds.
In the Whale - fuzzed out rock jams.  Girlfriend!
Walk the Moon - Shut Up and Dance with Them.
Leopold & His Fiction - White Stripes-esque rock
Lord Huron - lovely harmonies.
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - psych rock tasty-ness.
Rayland Baxter - I don't know why I love him like I do, but something in his simple sound clicks with me.
Chance the Rapper - offbeat rapper
GriZ - surprisingly fun EDM
Sons of Bill - americana and R.E.M. covers.  Good combo.

I let a couple of EDM artists up into this segment, and honestly, I'm starting to come around to the fact that it might be kind of fun to go watch Bassnectar or Disclosure and just have some fun with it.  May be a terrible show, but it also may be a blast.  I could keep complaining about the lack of headliners I like, or I can just go enjoy what is available to us.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

Don't be positive! Keep complaining! It's funnier.