Thursday, May 12, 2016

DJ Mustard

One Liner: You know, the rap producer who starts every track with "Muzzyonnabee Ho!"

Poster Position: 8

Thoughts:  So, I listened to this dude's 2014 album and reviewed it last year, with mixed results. You've almost certainly heard this guy's beats, even if you have not listened to his actual album. Like Mike Will Made It or London on the Track, every single beat he makes includes his sonic signature, which says something to the effect of "Mustard on the beat, ho!"  And I won't say that he doesn't make some cool beats, he's the guy behind the following songs by other guys:
  • Tyga's "Rack City" (4x platinum)
  • Big Sean's "I Don't F*ck with You" (3x platinum)
  • Y.G.'s "My N***a" (2x platinum)
  • Kid Ink's "Show Me" (2x platinum)
  • 2 Chainz's "I'm Different" (2x platinum)
  • Jeremih's "Don't Tell 'em" (2x platinum)
  • B.O.B.'s "Headband" (platinum)
  • T Pain's "Up Down (Do This All Day)" (platinum)
  • T.I.'s "No Mediocre" (platinum)
  • Omarion's "Post to Be" (platinum)
As well as a million others that didn't make platinum status.  He frequently uses the hand-clap and "hey" as part of each beat.  (hey! hey! hey! hey!)  He also did the production for Y.G.'s pretty good album My Krazy Life.  The problem with this live show is that all of his songs on his solo album have guest rappers.  And obviously those famous tunes up above have rappers doing the heavy lifting over his track.  And I've seen rap shows before where the original rapper isn't there so they have to skip verses or end the track early, and it sucks ass.  When I saw Future, he didn't have an album out yet and all of his songs were just guest verses on other people's tracks, so he'd do a 30 second truncated version of a song, and it was butt.  Now, if he is going to get T.I. and Y.G. and Lil Wayne and Yo Gotti and Big Sean and Rick Ross out there to rap with him, then this could be cool.  But I kind of doubt that is going to happen.

The most popular track on Spotify for Mustard, by far, is a single called "In My Room," a collaboration with something called Yellow Claw, that features Ty Dolla $ign and Tyga, and has a totally different sound than the rest of his music.  EDM stuff.  But he's got 54.3 million listens for this and his next closest is back at the 17 million range.  Here is "In My Room" which, depending on your job, may be NSFW.
Another 4 million views for that video too.  Maybe Mustard needs to cross over to the EDM world and cash in?  I suspect that Yellow Claw is doing the majority of the work on that song though.  The next most popular track is "Whole Lotta Lovin'," a single featuring Travi$ Scott, with 17.1 million spins on Spotify.
Ah, AutoTune.  And this tune goes a little bit EDM-y as well.  Interesting.  Maybe Mustard really is working a conversion to the EDM world.  His full-length album from 2014 is more traditional rap beat-based, like the most popular track from that album (on Spotify, 11.3 million), "Face Down," which features Lil Wayne, Big Sean, YG, and Boosie Bad Azz.
That gold chain mustard bottle is boss.  This is the stuff I am used to hearing from him.  "No Reason" sounds pretty cool too.  Interesting to hear those two new EDM-influenced tracks.  After trying out a few of the "Whole Lotta Lovin'" remixes though, I just think they are weak. Pretty boring.  I'm not going to tell you that Mustard doesn't put together some nice beats, but the EDM phase is lame and I doubt his live show will make any coherent sense.

No comments: