Monday, May 23, 2016

Nothing But Thieves

One Liner:  Groove-based, Muse-esque rock and roll

Poster Position: 15

Thoughts:  Their hit is on the radio or something, because I've heard it a few times before.  Good, danceable song, even if I did think that it might be a new Muse song.  Here is "Trip Switch," which has 10.4 million streams.
Pretty great rock and roll tune right there.  Really nice groove.  The band is English, and seriously sounds a lot like Muse.  Some of their songs also remind me of Radiohead.  They've just got the one, eponymous album, released in 2015, and then an EP or two from 2014.  The rest of the album is like that one above, driving rock with a good bassline and a danceable groove.  Except for the Jeff Buckley-homage track "Love, Please Stay," which is also still good.  This is really pretty dang good music.

Wikipedia shows that their song "Itch" (3.5 million streams) got some acclaim when it first came out, but the second-most popular track on Spotify these days is "Wake Up Call," with 6.3 million listens.

However, the track that I keep clicking with when I listen to this album is "Graveyard Whistling," which clocks in at 3.9 million.
Not quite so rockin' and groovy, but really nice.  "Cause if you don't believe, it can't hurt you."  I feel like they snuck that track up on me - like I was rockin' along and enjoying some good rock and roll tunes and then they made me feel and jam along with a more quiet, tender track.  Trickery! Tender trickery!  Whatever, I'm really liking this band.  I'd go see them at the fest.

No comments: