Thursday, May 19, 2016

Flume

One Liner: Electronic

Poster Position: 2


Thoughts:  For some reason, I thought this was going to be jam band music.  Not so much.  This is electronic music, not the new EDM sound, but the more traditional dance electronic music that was the proper electro sound before the BASS-DROP-BROS-4-EVA movement came into vogue.  As you can tell from that last sentence, I know squat-all about electronic music and the actual name for this type of music.  Spotify tells me he was "inspired by house and U.K. garage."  Mmmkay.  This is one dude, named Harley Edward Sterten, who seems to use a lot of guest singers to so their thing over the top of his computer sounds. Reminds me a little of Disclosure, except I think they do it better.


He's got one album (2012's Flume) and then a handful of remixes and singles and whatnot. Craploads of people listen to his tunes, with nine of his top ten most popular over eight figures of listens.  The top song is "Never Be Like You," which features someone named Kai.
My first listen of the song was not impressed, but the more I've listened to this song and his other top tracks, the more that I'm actually kind of enjoying the glitchy, weird sound going on in here.  Caught myself bobbing my head all up in here.  68.4 million streams for that track.

His second most listened-to track is "Drop the Game," with Chet Faker, at 65.6 million streams, but the song that I like best out of the rest of his catalog is the third place track, "Holdin' On," which clocks in at 41.5 million.
Funky shit.  And now, watching that video, I kinda like the guy even more.  He looks like a damn kid, pimples and all, but is having a bad ass time, rocking big crowds and making it happen.  Pretty awesome.  And that song is dope too.  None of his other tracks on that album are as good as that one, in my opinion, but he does have a remix album (listed as the second disc to a deluxe edition on Spotify) with a bunch of American rappers doing cool stuff over his tunes.  I'm a sucker for Ghostface and Killer Mike, so those two are pretty sweet, and the "Warm Thoughts" version, with someone named GrandeMarshall and Goldie Glo is cool.  However, the plain remixes on this deluxe disc, without new rappers spicing things up, are super boring.

Surprisingly OK with this guy.  Kind of doubt I'll go see him unless he's somehow up against someone else on the second line, but kind of fun tunes.

No comments: