Monday, May 16, 2016

VHS Collection

One Liner:  Electronic synth pop

Poster Position: 24

Thoughts:  Oh, those hip millenials, laughing at the over 30 crowd who actually owned VHS tapes. Like me!  I owned Backdraft on VHS!  That's right!  I said it!
Only three songs on an EP available on Spotify, so there isn't a ton to go off of in listening to this band, but I think I get it.  Kind of a Passion Pit thing, danceable synth pop.  And when you google their band name, you get a good look at a lot of weirdos out there who proudly flaunt their collections of old VHS tapes to the world.  Which is entertaining in its own right.
Something about this video is freaking terrifying.  Adult man, huge collection of children's movies on VHS, concrete floors that are easily hosed off.  I wish I hadn't clicked on this.  Was there a "Silence of the Lambs 2: Bill's Havin' a Baby!" that I missed?  But then the first comment is gold - "you're moving the camera too fast and jostling it too much. can't see anything in this video at all"  You tell 'em, MrWolfSnack!

Anyway, back to this actual band, here is one of their three songs, called "Lean."
That track has 2,738 views on YouTube, but over 268k spins on Spotify, so its not entirely unknown. My guess is that Spotify is sticking this into people's Weekly Discovery playlist or something.  I like the chorus, I can dig leaning on your friends and all that.  It isn't bad music, but it definitely is not in my comfort zone of music I'd like to go see play live.

No comments: