Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Lewis Del Mar

One Liner: Electro acoustic as though Jose Gonzalez found a drum machine

Poster Position: 15


Thoughts:  I don't know about you, but I was hoping for some Spanish pirate-themed flamenco music when I first found this artist name on the poster.  Sadly, no nautical references that I noticed in the actual tunes, other than some skinny-dipping at the beach in the laid back "Wave(s)." This is more straight-forward electronic beats and acoustic guitars. Although the band seems like it is just one dude (from the name), it is apparently two dudes who have known each other since they were nine.  They've just got one EP out there so far, but it is a pretty good little quartet of tunes.


The most listened to track is the first tune on their originally named EP, which is called EP. That song, Loud(y), makes an odd use of parentheses, but make short work of any question you might have about the need for a parental advisory sticker on this EP named EP.  It currently has 3.2 million streams.
"Born to a time when the quiet ended."  That is a cool track.  The second most popular track on the EP is the aforementioned "Wave(s)," which has more of a Ben Harper-chill vibe going on.
That glitchy, complex drumming is interesting, kinda makes me want to groove.  "Memories" has a nice groove too (with one line, saying "listen to Madonna," that makes me think of Seal every time). I'd be interested to hear more from them, although I kind of doubt I'll make them a priority to see at the festival.

No comments: