Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Margo Price

One Liner: Awesome throwback country gal on Jack White's label.

Poster Level:  10

Thoughts:  This post started as a quick hit about her new album, which I have been listening to for a few weeks, but because I hadn't yet published it, I grabbed it for the overall review.  According to a Rolling Stone article I recently read, she's had a pretty hard go of it for the past few years.  Got to do some jail time, lost a kid, and finally got noticed by Jack White and released her first solo album, called Midwest Farmer's Daughter.  Damn fine, classic country with excellent lyricism.  I'm a fan of this recent resurrection of the old school country sound, and Price is another top notch example of someone taking the sound of her predecessors and making it new.  Take a taste here, with her most listened-to track on Spotify, "Hurtin' (on the Bottle)."
Another tune, that doesn't have a video I found, is called "Weekender," and its all about spending weekends in jail.  Great storytelling stuff.  I spent most of the weekend listening to this album, and it is growing on me even more.  A few songs get a little schmaltzy sounding, but I don't even care, I'm loving the whole thing.  The opening tune on the album is the other one I'll offer up here - more great lyricism and a strong voice on "Hands of Time."
Love it.  I'd definitely go see her play a show, so I'll hopefully have the time and ability to do it at the festival.

No comments: