Monday, May 23, 2016

The Gills

One Liner:  Fun punk-ish rock out of Nashville with a Brit bent

Poster Position: 26

Thoughts:  This is fun stuff.  Bratty-sounding Brit rock and roll, kind of like the brassy parts of some old Oasis songs.

That is the top song on Spotify right now, with only 3,148 listens, but their most popular as of today. I dig it.  Uh, at least that was my initial observation after listening, now that I read about the band, they are somehow from Nashville   Interestingly though, the top place for people to listen to this band on Spotify?  Austin, Texas, with 50 listeners.  I wonder if this is all C3 people and now people checking them out for the festival.  But then the next entrants are Nashville, Houston, and Dallas.  Freaking weird.  I'm so confused.  Literally, listen to their music and see if you would have guessed these dudes are Nashville.  Here is their currently second place song on Spotify, "Rubberband," with 3424 listens:
Also good.  Kind of punk, kind of just hammering garage rock.  They've only got two albums (2012's Motor Running and 2009's Forget What You See), and that song is not on either.  From Spotify, it looks like they've got three new singles that will likely be on the next album.  First, "Rubberband" up above.  Second, their most popular track right now, "Gimme Gimme," which is a blast of that frothy Brit rock sound I was talking about.  Finally, "Lemonade," which is also a fuzzy blast of rock and harmonies.

That 2012 album is so short I'm guessing it was just an EP, but it definitely has a little bit cleaner, produced sound than those new tracks.  I'm liking the new tracks better, although "Let's Get Together" from the 2012 album kind of reminds me of Moon Taxi, who I like.  Here is a relatively bad recording of that track:
So damn loud, which is awesome, but the poor mic on this dude's phone can't handle the thunder.  Also on that album, "Swonderment" is kind of a jam.  The older album is a little weirder, a little jammy, even more lo-fi, but "Hippos" sounds just like old Oasis again.  I've spent way too long listening to these guys, but they are really pretty great.  Especially for being a 26th liner.  I'd be interested to check these guys out, although I suspect they are going to get the noon on Friday treatment and I may not make it out quite that early.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

These guys are the best! Love this kind of music.