Tuesday, May 17, 2016

R.I.P. Guy Clark

UP YOURS, 2016!!!

Guy Clark, man.  Amazing poet who I've always equated with Townes Van Zandt and John Prine. Classic old Texas songwriter.   I got to see him play at Poor Davids Pub in Dallas many moons ago, and heard Dublin Blues for the first time there, live.  Such an great song. I've been adding it to mix tapes for decades and actually put it on a playlist just yesterday for use at a big firm event.

And he wrote a pile of songs that other people made famous, like the amazing "Desperados Waiting For a Train" or "A Coat from the Cold" of "L.A. Freeway."  Damn, man.  I'm actually physically sad over this one.  I'm going to the Texas Chili Parlor soon and drinking Mad Dog margaritas.  "Homegrown Tomatoes" is also a good one, made me wish I liked tomatoes.

One other favorite was "Texas 1947," I just love the image of him running up to the track to get his nickel down before the raging steam train barrels through the town.
"Let Him Roll" is a beauty too - such a sad damn song.  Man, Guy Clark was so bad ass.  What a shitty way to start the day.

I've been listening to him all day, and just came across "Randall Knife" again.  What an absolute beauty.  The only album I own of Clark's was the Essential Guy Clark compilation, and for some idiot reason, "Randall Knife" didn't make it on there.  The tune to the song is a cousin of "Let it Roll," but instead of a homeless guy loving a whore, its a haunting memory of his dad, a hunting knife, and a final tear for the dead.  Seriously amazing.  Made me go right out and look up buying a Randall Knife, until I realized there is a FOUR YEAR waiting list for a Randall, and they are $400+.  No wonder Guy wanted the knife.

No comments: