Sunday, July 17, 2016

Chronixx & Zincfence Redemption

One Liner: Classic reggae sound from a new school guy.

Poster Position: 14

Thoughts:  Chronixx is a traditional sounding reggae guy, from Jamaica, who apparently got his big break in the States because of Jimmy Fallon noticing him on vacation in Jamaica and inviting him to perform on his show.  I'd link to a video, but all I found on YouTube were garbage homemade videos of the screen of someone's TV.  Anyway, the big song that caught Fallon's attention, and his most popular track (except for a Major Lazer song that Chronixx is just featured on) is "Here Comes Trouble," from 2014's Dread & Terrible.
That is that cool, classic reggae sound I remember.  Funky, groovy, but still feels kind of light and friendly, despite the lyrics.  He's only got that one album, but then he has a mess of singles on Spotify that you can also taste test.  This is classic sounding stuff, and I generally enjoy reggae.  I'm no true connoisseur of the genre, but I've purchased and jammed a bunch of Bob Marley, some Toots, Jimmy Cliff, and  Peter Tosh.  But I can't sit here and tell you that this is legit or a bad facsimile or whatever - to my ears this sounds cool.  Here is a little love song that came out as a single in 2013, called "Smile Jamaica."
Hella breezy love song, super smooth.  Just over 2 million streams of that track.  Finally, although this sounds nothing like the rest of his music, in case you want to try out that Major Lazer collaboration and hear what reggae EDM sounds like, jam this:
Kind of bad ass, man.  Also, kind of weird to read those lyrics, which are kind of nonsense when you actually read them.  Reggae drops!  Aw jeah!

As for Zincfence Redemption, that is apparently his travelling band, named after his label, but I can't find any definitive reason for that name.  When I search for it on Google, I get a lot of images of corrugated metal fences that are corroded, so maybe those are actually known as Zinc Fence and are prevalent in Jamaica?  I'm going with that as an explanation. Although I'm preemptively uncomfortable with the thought of how much dank-ass weed smoke is going to waft around when this guy plays, I'd be interested in going to check him out.

No comments: