Thursday, July 7, 2016

Break Science

One Liner: Bass heavy beats electronic with two good assists from Redman

Poster Position: 13

Thoughts:  So, several years ago (I'm not taking the time to go look up which year), a band/person/robot named Paper Diamond played ACL.  I had never heard of said band/person/robot, but as I wormed my way up close to another show (Chilis? Pearl Jam? Eminem?) I got to hear that entity play from a nearby stage.  And as much as I don't get the EDM movement that is going on these days, that concert was freaking bad ass sounding. Super hyped up and headbanging.  Ever since then, I use the "They Can't Tell Me Nothing" track to get hyped up for things.  If you need to be in da zone for your next drive to the post office, I highly recommend it.

Anyhoo, that is not this band.  Sorry for the detour.  However, this band reminds me very much of that style - bass heavy beat music that feels ready made for jumping and jamming and flipping out to in a big field full of 20-somethings.  Like the Bassnectar sound or some of the Skrillex stuff.  2 EPs and 1 album (2013's Seven Bridges) so I think we might be able to expect another release before the festival.  You'd think that 3 year old electronic music is comparable to classic rock for the kids these days.  "Haha, bro, you're still streaming Seven Bridges?  My granddad likes that crap.  Do you have any ritalin?  I'll trade it for a snap of my junk."  I'm terrified of the youth, by the way.

The most listened to track is also the one I like the best (ain't that convenient?!) and features Redman and the kick ass funk group Lettuce.  You can find it on the new album, but for now, just stand up and do all the dances from "Watch Me" while you jam this track, "Brain Reaction"
Right on, man.  Too bad they likely won't have Redman with them to bounce that one all over Zilker in the fall.  They have one other stand out track with Redman too.  And then off of the 2012 EP Monolith Code, the "old school" dubstep train rolls on with "Light Speed Transit."
I note that most of the comments for that track are from 4 years ago.  Unfortunately, the group doesn't show up on YouTube's artist insight page, as I wanted to see when and how they are popular. According to Spotify, their biggest listener zone is Denver.  Which is odd.  I imagine people in Denver listening exclusively to the String Cheese Incident.  But I guess they like to get spazzed up on legal weed and jam out to 3 year old hard-edge beats.  Okey doke.

I would not likely go out of my way to go see these guys go, but then again, I'm coming around to the fun of watching electronic music live even if I'd never listen to it otherwise.

1 comment:

Joseph Cathey said...

This is fun stuff.

REDMAN FOREVER!