Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Jess Glynne

One Liner: Strong, soulful voiced Brit singer over dance beats

Poster Position: 16

Thoughts:  When listening to this music, I see in my mind hot women dancing out on a crowded dance floor, whipping their hair back and forth, and scanning the room with their eyes to make sure they are being noticed by everyone in the crowd.  She's got a great voice, but the music behind her is pretty plain jane dance electro with some disco influence.  Her big hit (and I mean massive, with 171.2 million streams) is "Hold My Hand," and will show you exactly what I am talking about.
Happy, sunshine-y track.  Catchy thing, although it sounds like a million other tracks that have used that (or a very similar) piano riff of a bouncing chord beat.  I'm not sure what the video is all about with the weird sand-spitting ATV crowd cranked up all around her? Anyway, it is a fun track.  And I happened to hear it while sitting in a bar in Boston last weekend, which made me feel super cool for being able to identify her and the fact that she is coming to ACL this year.  It's the little things, folks.
She's also got several versions of her song"Kill the Lights," which was apparently used on the HBO show Vinyl.  Never saw the show, saw it was cancelled before a second season, so I think I'll leave it alone.  Anyway, here is that disco-fied track, her second most popular on Spotify.
More good times are balled up inside of that track, and as with her other tunes, her voice is weapons grade awesome.  However, I'd be lying if I didn't tell you that listening to her whole album (2015's I Cry When I Laugh) a few times was a little tiresome - catchy beats and piano riffs for days.  This isn't the type of music I'd choose to listen to on a normal basis (I'm comparing it mentally to Rihanna - dance music that is well sung), so it doesn't change my generalized opinion about that music now.  That being said, I bet people will have a fun ass dance party at her show.  I doubt I'll be part of it, but I can see it happening.

No comments: