Saturday, July 23, 2016

Corbu

One Liner: Pleasant indie rock with terrible remixes

Poster Position: 23

Thoughts:  First impressions are a bitch.  See below the videos for a changed tone, but I thought I'd leave in the review that I started when I first cranked up their music.

The top track they have on Spotify is called "Neon Hallway," and it is available on a compilation album called Ibiza Poolside, which just makes me want to throw my laptop out the window.  But they make it so that we can't open windows up here, because the lawyers are known for jumping.  It sounds less like something you'd listen to poolside in Ibiza (as if I have any clue what you would listen to poolside in Ibiza) and more like something you'd hear blaring in Abercrombie & Fitch as you walk by.  Do they even still have Abercrombie & Fitch anymore?  Apparently so!  They had revenue of FLIPPING 3.518 billion last year. BILLION!!!  If I walk by their store it makes my eyes water and my gag reflex start.

Anyway, this is not the Abercrombie house band (although it could be!) but is instead a chilled house dance music kind of thing.  What was the term from the other day?  "Post club?"  Maybe.  They have no Wikipedia presence, no Spotify bio, so its hard to know anything about them, except the fine folks at Stereogum have noted that they are a "Brooklyn indie/electro pop outfit that creates soaring, glimmering explosions of energy and rhythm."  <burp up some artisanal quinoa-based, free-trade vodka mixed with goji berry juice> <re-swallow> That review notes that they have an album, which is not available on Spotify (and therefore must not truly exist), but they do have one of these songs available to play on YouTube, so here is "We Are Sound," which is their #2, #3, and #4 song on Spotify.
Wait, that sounds nothing like their most popular tracks.  Hold on.  Shit, ignore the majority of what I said up above.  Apparently their most popular music is just remixes of the rock-ish indie tunes that they make, which are actually pretty good.  I just listened to the actual "Neon Hallway" song, which is not the version on the Poolside in Ibiza thing, and it is better than the stupid remix. Here is that one:
Not as good as the "We Are Sound" tune, but still MUCH better than the remix.  And the rest of this music is significantly better than those remixes.  Fo sho.  I actually like these guys well enough.  Without a full album, I can't say that I really know what they are like, but the few non-remix singles are pretty cool.

No comments: