Monday, July 11, 2016

HAIM

One Liner: Sister party rock with some pop flourish

Poster Position: 3

Thoughts:  I'm kind of surprised that their album is already 3 years old.  I would have guessed that it was more recent than that.  When it came out (2013's Days are Gone), I put it in pretty heavy rotation and liked it a lot.  And then I went and saw their set at ACL Fest that year and was in love with them. Their original songs are good - rock with a little 80's swagger and fun - but they did a Zeppelin cover that was spot on real deal rock and roll.  I can't recall the song, but it was bad ass.  So I'm definitely up for seeing them again, although I'd expect that a new album will be out by then for me to check out.

The most popular track cracks me up every single time because I can't help but think of The Eagles, because the guitar lick and beat clap sounds exactly like "Heartache Tonight" to me. This is "The Wire," which has 51 million streams.
Great tune.  Walks a tight line between real rock and pop drum machine action but I still think it works just right.  Second biggest song is "Falling," which has 37.3 million streams, and has more of the same throwback but original sound.  Something about the music makes me want to call it sideways, but that isn't quite right, its just kind of sneakily fun.  Definitely makes me want to groove.
I don't feel like I can fully complete this review, since they have a new album anticipated.  I didn't find a release date in the 20 second of research I just did, but they were apparently close in March.  We'll revisit later, but needless to say that I expect to go watch this show.

No comments: