Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Gospel Silvertones

One Liner: Funky gospel

Poster Position: 27

Thoughts:  While I'm a little bummed that the kiddie limits portion of the ACL lineup has disappeared, and as doubtful as I am that I'll ever actually go watch any of the gospel bands, I'm glad that this is still a thing for the fest.  We need something to make our festival different from everyone else.  And to be honest, this group is kinda badass.  Nothing is available on Spotify, but if you take the following performance of "He's Comin' Back," performed at Maria's Taco Xpress, the groove is funky and the guitar solo is straight up legit.
Look at those weird ass hippies!  At about 2:18, the guitar solo kicks in, and then the camera pans over to the right to a pack of Bernie Sanders supporters who just ate ten tacos and a tray of magic mushrooms before this song kicked in and they ARE FEELING THE BURN, BABY!!!  This is what I imagine happens at every Phish concert.  As soon as this song was over, two of those dudes just straight up died because of massive heart failure and pure ecstacy.  
As for the music though, I say I'm right there with those dirty hippies.  Those guys are on fiyah!
There are others with this same band name, so I am still assuming that these are the same dudes in this next video, but because this one is at Threadgill's, I'm making a safe assumption.  Here is the Doobie Brothers classic "Jesus is Just Alright With Me."
The video and sound quality could use some help, but that band can actually play.  This is pretty solid.  If you are going to choose some gospel this year for your Sunday morning start, these guys seem like the right choice.

No comments: