Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Gallant

One Liner:  Electronic alternative R&B with a golden voice over boring tunes

Poster Position: 12

Thoughts:  Crap.  I thought this was the kick ass rock band Two Gallants this entire time. Those guys can freaking jam.  I had been kind of saving my time to listen to this because I thought I'd do it after I had been through some boring music and needed a pick me up. Instead, this is an R&B-ish singer guy whose main hit sounds like something that Disclosure would have produced.  I'm sure others would have closer comparisons, but I don't listen to much in the way of "alternative electronic R&B." For your edification, here is that hit, with 11.1 million streams, "Weight in Gold."
His vocals start out all feathery and soft, and then he kicks in with the real deal - nice vocals. The music leaves me uninspired, pretty generic electronic beats.  He's got one album (2016's Ology) and one EP (2014's Zebra) and then some remixes and singles.  None of this appeals to me at all.  I've tried, but nothing sticks or is even memorable that I've heard in these songs.  His second and third most listened to tracks are both remixes of that song above, but here is the next one, an eighties R&B ballad that reminded me of Miguel's "Coffee" for a sec, called "Bourbon."
Despite the fact that I don't care much for the music, just read some of these lyrics, they are actual poetry.
"cuz I loved in cold blood and got used to it
angels say trust the detox,
but I’m shaking I need it like bourbon in my coffee cup

I’m a tritone bible with misprint logic;
I count lunar cycles with faithless prophets

I’m a mountainless valley
never comforted crashing
I'm just another stone on broken walls
racing the wind in a hurricane I’m not as brave as I once was
I’ve been kicking these rocks in a river and they’ve been sinking low."

No freaking clue what that is all about, but it sounds sad?  Deep?  Either way, I'm not going to go watch him do his thing at the festival (despite the fact that I can freaking guarantee this will be the hit show where people come away from it absolutely enamored with the guy and effusive in their praise for how amazing he is.  Like everyone who tells me that the Twenty One Pilots show last year was the greatest thing they've ever seen in their lives, and I want to vomit, partially because I skipped it and partially because I think they are terrible).

No comments: