Monday, July 18, 2016

Wild Child

One Liner: Local band with an unhinged, fun sound and harmonies

Poster Position: 11

Thoughts:  Wild Child is an Austin band, and I've heard great things about their live shows in the past from friends.  I've never seen them, and their top three songs on Spotify rang no bells, but their fourth most popular track is one I've heard a bunch.  Not sure if that is local radio or commercials or what, but you'll likely recognize the poppy, catchy, whistle-laden "Crazy Bird."  Its got 2.6 million streams.
In a video of odd images, how awesome is the hand holding a sandwich coming out of the fly?  And then getting chomped?  Totally awesome.  Nom nom crotch sammy.  And I don't know why, but the walking on bananas thing is creepy.  Anyway though, good tune!  I feel like the majority of their tunes are a lot more chilled and quiet and pretty than that one, which is too bad, as I'd rather rock out than be lulled.  The whole picture kind of reminds me of the Lumineers/Head and the Heart/Of Monsters and Men thing that has been going on for a while.  Their most popular track by a large number (just over 7 million streams) is "Pillow Talk," from the 2011 debut album of the same name.
Sweet ditty.  I think it is their name that is messing me up.  A band named Wild Child should sound like Wyld Stallyns covering "Poundcake" (complete with drill vs. guitar) or something. Not these precious ballads full of harmony that make you want to sway and hold hands.  My weird hangup be damned, this music is really quite nice.  "Break Bones" almost sounds like an Adele track.  I'm definitely going to keep some of it to continue listening to, and I'll probably forward a track to my wife for a song-shout-out dedication.  Maybe the new track "Fools," from 2015's album Fools, is the semi-rocker I need to feel these guys - the drums are certainly rock n' roll.
Ugh.  Those fans dancing make me want to vomit.  So forced and irritating.  Are there 30 people in this band?  I felt like they just kept scanning the band and revealing even more people manning even more instruments.  Screw it, I like this band.  Dorky hispter over-dancers in that video notwithstanding, that song jams.  I bet they really are a blast to see live.  I think I'll make them a priority to go see in the fall.

No comments: