Thursday, August 29, 2019

Jane Ellen Bryant

One Liner:  Local gal with a great voice
Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is Americana turned to bluesy rock
Home: Austin

Poster Position: 22


Weekend Two Only.


Thoughts: I saw Bryant play live a few years ago, at one of those HAAM day deals where a bunch of different artists shuffle their way through Whole Foods and play little 30 minute sets, and in person, just a few feet away from her, let me assure you that she is freaking amazing.  She seemed both young and self-assured, powerful and yet tender.  Great voice.  I remember being totally mesmerized by the little show, staying there long after I had finished my taco and should have been headed to work.

I came back to work eventually, and found her album Hourglass on Spotify.  it is old, from 2013, but it is the only true album to her credit.  Not getting many listens on Spotify, most of her songs are under five digits, but two tracks are up over 100k ("Lover," and "Still Can't Forget You").  But I can't find those on YouTube, or any other songs from that album on there, so we'll just have to move on to the newer EP.  Before I do, I wanted to note that the tunes on this album are pretty solid - almost like someone who plays a Disney princess in a cartoon is making blues rock now.  The voice is the thing here.  

Beyond those two tracks with all those streams, none of her songs have any streams - the top track is one with 7,420.  So I'll just offer the ones with the real videos so that you can see and hear something.  First, "Attention" is on the 2018 EP Let Me Be Lost, and the video has 26k views (only 6,241 streams on Spotify).
Oh, WTF?  That is nothing like the older tunes.  I very much do not enjoy that song.  Oh no.  What happened to the nice semi-folky, bluesy rock?  Also, almost 5 minutes?  I needed it to stop at like 2 minutes.  Let's try "Too Smooth" and hope for better?
Aiight, that one sounds a little better, a little groove, some good guitar-work, but then the chorus.  C'mon.  You're just going to say "you're too smooth" four times for the chorus?  This one is much better than the one above that says "attention" 78 times over a terrible tune, but I still liked the old sound better.  Actually, as I listen to the new EP, it is all much better than "Attention," so just ignore that little outlier up there...

Probably won't go check this out live.

No comments: