Friday, August 30, 2019

Ingrid Andress

One Liner:  Forgettable pop with indie pop girl voice
Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, going with Pop, country
Home: Denver born, now in Nashville

Poster Position: 26


Weekend One Only.


Thoughts: Just four songs, piano-driven indie pop that sounds very nice - almost country-ish in some of the small touches in here, but I definitely wouldn't call it country music despite a steel guitar wail or fiddle slide here and there. She grew up in Denver, graduated from Berklee College of Music, and now lives in Nashville (I should count up how many artists at ACL this year are from Nashville - the number is annoyingly high).

Before all that, she was on an NBC show I've never heard of called The Sing Off, and apparently toured with that thing.  When she got to Nashville, she was just doing songwriting but scored a song with Charlie XCX.  But she grew up idolizing Faith Hill and the Dixie Chicks, so I guess she really might be country at heart.

"More Hearts Than Mine" is a brutal guilt trip machine - "hey, boyfriend, I'm gonna bring you home to my family who are going to love you, as will my friends, and if you break up with me I won't even care, but my dad will drink himself to death (whiskey on ice!) and my little sister will become a serial killer."  That is her top single at 3.3 million streams.
Pretty song - I actually like the lyrics even though I'm joking about them up above.  Feels like a true story, and I dig that.  Her newest single doesn't have all the streams yet, but was just released on Aug. 16, so having 131k already is actually pretty solid after only 5 days.  This is "We're Not Friends."
See, if that is supposed to be country, it sure doesn't sound it.  BUt there may be a touch of banjo in the background of the chorus, almost like this is that portion of Taylor Swift's career when she hadn't fully left country behind but hadn't fully become an electronic animal.  Its a pretty song again.

Only four songs to try, but they are all good.  Strong voice, pretty face, good lyrics, seems like she is destined for greatness.  I probably won't go see it happen, but that's just because she's at 11:45 in the morning. 

No comments: