Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The Band Camino

One Liner:  Glossy pop rock like a lesser The 1975
Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, will call it pop rock
Home: Nashville, via Memphis

Poster Position: 16


Weekend Two Only.


Thoughts: First impression is of a pop rock thing kind of in the Moon Taxi vein, but even poppier - their top single is strummy guitars and bouncy organ chords and harmony laden lyrics about love.  This is "2/14," with 18.3 million streams.
But after a deeper dive into these tunes, I think we are less on the Moon Taxi bus and more over there with bands like AJR, where the snap/drum track powers the back end of tunes that are defined by the synths and cheesy lyrics more than guitars.  These are very slick pop songs.  I'm listening to one of the new singles ("See Through," released on July 26) and it walks a line between the 80's-leaning The 1975 and modern country garbage.  I am not a fan.  The more I listen, the more I think this is Little Big Town and was made in a Nashville Music Row cubicle.

No real albums, just a few EPs and a bunch of singles.  Their website provides no details about the band - and I'm curious about the name.  Like that "Kyd the Band" guy the other day - aren't there better names out there than to note in your band name that you are a band?  An interview I read say that they were working for a long time to come up with a band name, and then one member saw an El Camino.  Which doesn't explain why they added "The Band" to the front of it.

I think their older tunes are better - the new singles are the ones that are extremely slick-sounding pop country rock stuff that is a hard turnoff for me.  "Honest" or that one up above, both are very glossy 80's power pop tunes with generic guitar licks.

I would not choose to go see this stuff played live.

No comments: