Monday, August 26, 2019

Mallrat

One Liner:  Lesser Lorde
Wikipedia Genre:  Electronica, hip hop, Indie pop
Home: Brisbane, Australia

Poster Position: 19


Weekend Two Only.


Thoughts: Not sure what the deal is, but somehow I've fallen into a crack of only female indie pop/mild-electronica artists on the poster, and I'm exhausted by it.  I'm sure this music is better than I am going to give it credit for, but, as you can see from the rude One Liner above, I'm not feeling it.

Real name is Grace Shaw, and she's only 20.  Now, she does have a song called "Texas," that repeatedly says that my heart is big as Texas, which I appreciate.  Although it seems to me that her home country is larger than Texas, so she probably should have picked Australia if she wanted that to be a very big compliment.  Oooh, or maybe she didn't!  Maybe she knows Texas is only the second biggest state by land mass, and that is actually a sly diss track saying that my heart really isn't the biggest, only big?  Hmmm.

No real albums - a 2016 EP called Uninvited and a 2018 EP called In the Sky.  All of her top streamers are from that 2018 disc.  Here is one that includes a rapper appearance by something called Allday.  "UFO," with 16.4 million streams.
You feeling me on that Lorde reference right now?  She seriously looks like a child who broke into her mom's makeup drawer and went to town on her eyes.  A different tune, "Groceries," actually has the most streams from that EP, with 33.5 million, but whatever.

She has a new single out, and we'll go to that one next - "Charlie" has 1.1 million streams so far, after an August 7 release, which is pretty good.
The woozy pianos make me think of a slowed down version of "Green Light," and again with the heavy eye makeup.  Not like I have any clue how to do eye makeup, but I guess as the father of two young ladies who are just starting down the make-up path, I'm a little sensitive.  Pretty enough song - I like the lyrics.  But there is no way I will still remember what I just heard in eight minutes.

I think I'm good.

No comments: