Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Pnthn

One Liner:  Surprisingly excellent rap from San Marcos
Wikipedia Genre:  No Wikipedia, this is rap.
Home: San Marcos, Texas

Poster Position: Late Addition.


Weekend Two Only.


Thoughts: Pronounced like pantheon, this is a big pile of rappers who call themselves an "8-man cult determined to destroy hip-hop through ritualistic voodoo."  If their top track is any indication, this is pretty flippin' good stuff.  "CHUMBUCKET" with 324k streams.
That laaaaaiiiiiid back beat already gets me all woozy and head-noddy here at my desk, even before the guys start throwing their verses down on the table.  Oooh, wait, then the second track pops up and its even MORE laaaaaaiiiiiid back.  Spoon feed me this until I'm looking like Jabba the Hut and can only barely roll my shoulders to show that I'm into the groove.  "Megatron" with 99k streams.
Who is making those beats?  I need them in my life.  And the flows are great - these guys sound awesome together.

Their website shows that they met each other in San Marcos, and now I'm thinking of another huge pile of dudes making rap music who met in San Marcos - Brockhampton - what is it about San Marcos that creates this type of collective badassery?  Also says the group is six rappers, 2 full-time producers, and an in-house DJ.  Also important, one of the rappers, TONY TONE, is a big ass ginger with a bright red beard, and this is now my favorite rap group of all time.  They also have a dude called Por Vida who wears a Spurs shirt in his group photo and I love him too.

These guys have been touring with Vince Staples and Freddie Gibbs, so they've already been found and noticed by the real rap folks.  Their interviews are super weird, especially quotes talking about the band name, but it seems that their name is because they are a House of Gods and they don't need vowels because they don't have any leaders, they are all Gods.  Or something.  Also, they all still have regular jobs - one says he's slinging gatorade and hot dogs at a c-store.

Just one EP - 2018's RICO - and neither of those two tracks up above are on it.  The top track from that album is "HENNY DREAMS" with 262k streams.
Ominous, and then the beat kicks in and my shoulders get to bouncing.  Also, one dude sounds like ILOVEMAKONEN in the middle of this thing.  There also is someone whining in the background later that makes it sound like BROCKHAMPTON again.  Their newest single is called "Good Ass Halal," and it has a cool, kind of smoked out beat.  Here is one more that is an actual video so that you can see these dudes - "PUBLIC ENEMY."
Another chill ass beat.  Ginger homie looks like Ed Sheeran but flows like Mac Miller.

GIVE ME ALL OF THE PNTHN!!!  JUST FEED IT RIGHT INTO MY FAT MAW!!!  I swear my pleasure in this stuff has nothing to do with the fact that the last 48 bands I've heard on this poster have all been female indie pop artists.  I'm going to go to this show and bounce into anyone within ten feet of me.

No comments: