Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Jazz Cartier

One Liner: Toronto rapper who takes more cues from Kevin Gates than Drake

Poster Position: 18

Thoughts:  I didn't figure this to be rap, but shows you what I can guess based on the band names these days.  This guy is from Toronto, but sounds a lot like Kevin Gates to me. Check "Red Alert," or hell, most of the full album, and you'll see what I am talking about. Real name Jaye Evans, this guy was born in Toronto, but then moved around a lot as a kid, until settling back in Toronto.  From Wikipedia, it looks like he actually has no real albums, just three mixtapes.  But only one of those tapes (2016's Hotel Paranoia) is available on Spotify, so that is what we have to go off of.  The most listened to track from that album is "Stick & Move," with 1.7 million streams.
Got that menacing, brawny bass with trap buzz, which I dig on, and some autotune vocals, which I don't dig on.  Another tune off the new album goes for an even more menacing sound, and has some horns, which I am a sucker for in a rap song, so I like the sound of "100 Roses."  "Red Alert" and "I Know" are also pretty tight sounding.  And then the most listened to track overall on Spotify for him is the "Dead or Alive," with 2.6 million streams.  Well, this starts with a segment of a song called "The Valley," which then cuts off before "Dead or Alive" kicks in.
This one isn't on the album, and I think I prefer the album tracks to this one, although its pretty cool too.  I dig me some Kevin Gates, so I like the comparison that I've made in my head of this cat.  I'd keep listening to this music, so I'd also probably go see him do his thing live.

No comments: