Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Jai Malano

One Liner: Rootsy bluesy rock gal with a classic sound.

Poster Position: 22
Slot:  Sunday at 12:15

Thoughts:  Well hell yeah.  From the band name, I thought this would be world music.  From the cover of her album and photo on Spotify, I thought this would be the sounds of the guys who hung out with Ruby Rhod (from Fifth Element) squealing in pleasure.  It's like a Mad Max extra piled a beaver pelt on her head inside of a fishbowl.  The title of her one album is Rocket Girl, from 2015, and that is also the title of her most popular track on Spotify.  With 4,268 (soon to be 69) streams, this is "Rocket Girl."

More of these retro-sounding tunes, and I should be getting sick of them by now, but her voice is sweet and the backing band is good stuff too.  To hear that action, you have to go to the newest track she's released, 2016 sing "Hearts Never Break Themselves," which still has less than 1,000 listens on Spotify, but is solid stuff.
Like some of the other folks I've looked at here, I think this sound would be fantastic at the Cactus or Antones or some small venue.  I'm not so sure about how this will go over in a crowd on a super hot Sunday morning, but regardless, I like the music.

No comments: