Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Shelters

One Liner: Garage-y classic rock sound that loves Tom Petty

Poster Position: 18
Slot: Sunday at 11:30

Thoughts:  I could have sworn this was a gospel group that I have reviewed before.  I purposefully put off listening to this music for this very fact.  Now though, I like this album a lot.  Their Spotify bio says that: (1) three of their members played with Tom Petty on his album Hypnotic Eye; (2) they have toured as openers for Petty's band Mudcrutch; and (3) Petty co-produced their sole album.  And, seriously, Petty's sound and fingerprints are all over this album.  Just all over it.  "Dandelion Ridge" could easily be off of the Wildflowers album.  Even the singer's phrasing sounds like Petty.

They have one 2016 album and one EP, although every song from the EP is also on the album.  One of those songs, for whatever reason, has hit in a major way compared to the rest of the disc.  "Rebel Heart," the album opener, clocks in at 1.4 million streams.
Such a classic rock sound, although it definitely has the sound of Brits, but these dudes are from California.  They've got one other biggish song, "Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl," which wins the award for most apostrophes in a song title that I have written about today, with 231k listens.  But most of the rest of their tunes are in the sub-20k streams zone.  The other one I want to play for you clocks in at 30k, "Birdwatching."
Loose and jangly, that is a anthem for fun.  Again though, sounds like Tom Petty, right?  The more I listen to this album today, the more that I really like these tunes.  These songs hit a good sweet spot for me.  Sadly, these dudes are slotted into the Sunday morning at 11:30 slot, so I doubt I'll actually motivate myself to go catch the show.

No comments: