Monday, August 29, 2016

Porter Robinson and Madeon

One Liner: More electronic stuff straddling the line between EDM and indie

Poster Position: None, new artist
Slot: Sunday at 7pm

Thoughts: I actually listened to the Porter Robinson half of this duo many moons ago (Nov. 2014) and wrote that it was indie electronics, kind of like Passion Pit.  No new music since that time, other than remixes and a single, so nothing much new to report.  Not my favorite tunes, but I'll let you check it out.

The most popular track from that old 2014 album (Worlds) is called "Sad Machine," and has 19.1 million streams.
Still sounds like Passion Pit to me, if Passion Pit made the music for old school Nintendo games and then added lyrics.  And look, his bio says that he was influenced by the sounds of video games such as Dance Dance Revolution.  His bio also says that, when he released his first EP, "The level of demand crashed the server of a prominent online retailer."  So mysterious!  Who is it?  I must know!  Thanks to Wikipedia now I do!  Was it iTunes?  Amazon?  Beats Music?  Google Play? (I think that is the sum total list of who I would name as a "prominent online retailer" for music downloads)  The answer is something called "Beatport," so maybe that is why the bio is being coy.  If you use that name, then everyone will know that the word prominent doesn't really apply.

The new single he released in 2016 is called "Shelter," and so far has 2.5 million streams.
Oh, hey, that has the Madeon person on the track as well.  How convenient.  So now I can transition over to that guy.  I'd have difficulty saying which artist is which, to be honest, I just went and listened to the Madeon music and it kind of has that same sound, soft synth pop electronic stuff, maybe it is a little groovier than Porter Robinson.  Maybe?  This guy is French, and according to Wikipedia, came to fame through a YouTube video called "Pop Culture."  Here you go.
Huh, pretty cool.  Like a super short clip mash of a Girl Talk song, but with much tinier chunks of songs.  Fun to guess at what all is in there.  I hear Coldplay, Buggles, Madonna, Daft Punk... think that's all I get.  Pretty rad.  Well, since then, his music is more of the usual pop electro.  Here is his most popular track, called "You're On," which has 36.4 million streams.
Something about that tune is very French to me.  Not bad, nice groove, still don't care to go listen to it again.  Oh, and just to make you feel like an old turd, the dude is 22.  Both of these guys are just fine - if you like Passion Pit and that style of music, then these are your guys.  However, for me, the list of people that are similar artists on Spotify is a used barf bag of electro: Tiesto, Zedd, Deadmau5, Krewella, etc.  No thanks.  I'm sure it is fun stuff live to jam out to, but not my thing.

No comments: