Saturday, August 13, 2016

Kamaiyah

One Liner: Bay Area bad ass lady rapper

Poster Position: 18

Thoughts:  Well hell yeah.  Never heard of this gal before, but she does some tight rap action. If I'm comparing the two new lady rappers I've just run across, I'm giving Lizzo the crown, but this is good stuff.  Oakland girl, and I hear Too $hort for sure on tracks like "Ni***as," which even uses some of the same sounds as "Freaky Tales," just sounds like its been re-done by DJ Mustard.  Too $hort is awesome, by the way.  "Freaky Freaks" also has that sound, but also interpolates an old Snoop beat.  I think the most interesting thing about her is the voice - she raps in a low enough register that you could easily confuse her with a man, or at least a boy rapper.

Just one album, 2016's A Good Night in the Ghetto.  The big hit from it is her first single, "How Does It Feel," which she apparently distributed on USB drives that looked like brick phones when she was in Austin for SXSW this year.  Which is badass.  With 1.6 million streams, none of her other tracks even comes close.
Hard to believe you don't hear "MUZZYONNABEE" at the start of that track.  If it isn't DJ Mustard, then he should sue somebody.  Check that brick phone!  Got that Nintendo 64!  Pretty cool.  Her second biggest song is "Break You Down," with 345k streams, but I don't care for that one as much with its R&B sing-song aspect.  The Y.G. collaboration on "F*ck It Up" is pretty cool, and "I'm On" is another fun one, but I am still digging on that Too $hort sound.  Here is "Ni***s."
Great groove.  And I love the cover of that album too, great shot with the sack of Lays and a jug of wine (or maybe Hennessey?).  I like this album, I like her style.  I could see going to this show and having a good time.

No comments: