Friday, August 5, 2016

Lucy Dacus

One Liner: Indie rock girl doing good work with a torchy voice

Poster Position: 20

Thoughts: She's got one track with way more streams than anything else, and its legitimately a good one.  "I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore" is a clever, confessional track that has a good, simple rock sound in there.  With over 800k listens, it dwarfs anything else she has on Spotify, none of which crack the 100k mark.
Good tune.  I think the thing I like the most about her is the lead guitar parts, which I assume are being played by her guitarist with the rad name Jacob Blizzard.  Like the open of "Troublemaker Dopleganger," or the break in "Direct Address," both of those are choice. The tunes and combination remind me of a softer Waxahatchee, who came through last year. Her lyrics remind me a little of Courtney Barnett, although that is higher praise than I intend to give.  Either way, she turns a good phrase here and there with a wry sound that I enjoy. Here is that "Troublemaker Doppleganger."
The more I listen to her, the more rock I think she is.  When I started this post, I was thinking that she was more twee little indie music, but I think her voice sounds like something that should be associated with twee indie, while the actuality here is that she has a brawny band making it happen behind her.  Yes!  A Tiny Desk concert too!
She's cool.  I can dig these tunes.  I can see the festival show being pretty good.  We'll see how the schedule pans out.

No comments: