Monday, August 22, 2016

Young the Giant

One Liner:

Poster Position: 4
Slot: 7pm on Sunday

Thoughts:  Interesting.  When I saw this band on the lineup, up there in the 4th line, I thought in my head, oh yeah, sure, I know that band.  However, I honestly don't recognize anything in here except for two old songs.  Those songs, both from their 2011 eponymous debut album, are pretty good, but neither is anything I've sought out despite years of hearing them on the radio.  First, "My Body," and at 37.6 million streams though, it seems like others have been listening while I haven't.
Don't get me wrong, its not a bad song.  This isn't a bad band.  But that tune also doesn't just light me up where I feel like I need to hunt down the rest of their catalog and dig deep into that sound.  It is a pleasant rock sound, kind of like Foster the People to me (except without the pop chops of Foster the People).  The other one I've heard before, "Cough Syrup," has even more listens at 64 million.
Again, I've heard this tune for years on the alternative radio stations, but I'd probably switch the station to see if something more interesting was playing any time I heard it now.  It is fine, but not much more than that.  I almost feel bad for dogging on them, the music is likeable - smooth indie rock, but I don't know, I just don't care.

The band has three albums, 2011's Young the Giant, 2014's Mind over Matter, and 2016's Home of the Strange.  The first and third albums are definitely the best, I can't get into the middle child at all.  Their current most popular track is called "Something to Believe In," and appears on the new album.  It clocks in at just barely over 6 million streams.
A little more edge to that tune, and little harder (even with the cute little harmony "wooahhs" in there).  "Amerika" from this album, the album opener, is also pretty good.

I don't know why I'm feeling guilt about not liking this band very much.  I shouldn't feel guilt. They are a fine band, I just can't get excited about the idea of seeing them play.  Feels like I'd spend the whole time talking to people around me or wishing I could check my phone if there was actually signal in Zilker.

No comments: