Friday, September 10, 2021

Jany Green

One Liner: Happy hip hop and R&B

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia - rap, hip hop, and R&B
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: Late Addition
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 12:15 at the BMI Stage

Thoughts:  I wasn't expecting much when I turned him on, but I'm honestly enjoying it.  Kinda rap, kinda R&B, but the music behind him is funky and fun and full of sunshine.  Like "Lost in Love" is just a funky dance party that is hard not to enjoy.  No Wikipedia presence, but the article I read about his says that he was born and raised in Alaska before moving to southern California.  I don't see how you couldn't be happy after that move!

Also, and this one is odd, he says his parents played a board game to decide what they should name him.  His dad won the game, so he got to choose the first name, and mom could pick his middle name.  She picked Janal for his middle name, which he shortened, and then added on Green, because that was his mom's maiden name.  He then says he never really had a relationship with his dad - but I guess his dad is bad ass at Life or Monopoly or whatever!

"Little" is the hit track - 10.9 million streams.
That one is just okay to me - almost reminds me of some Gym Class Heroes stuff.  A little bit plodding, a little less purely joyful and unhinged.  Not bad by any means, but some of these other tunes are more better.  Here, try "Move," with 678k streams.
Funky fresh.  That bouncing bass is some good stuff, and then when the full band kicks in to party its a good time.  He says in his interview that Outkast is his biggest inspiration, and I can see Andre 3k making a song with those same sounds.

I like this guy - seems like you'd see a genuinely fun show with him.  I kind of doubt I'll be there at noon on Sunday to check it out, but I think it would be fun.



No comments: