Saturday, September 4, 2021

Bexley

One Liner: Hard rocking young lady from Seattle.

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia - hard rock, goth rock, emo, grunge
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: Late Addition

Weekend One Only.
Friday at 1:45 on the BMI Stage.

Thoughts:  Well that isn't what I expected.  This is a hard rock band with a lady singer vamping around over the top.  Evanescence is what comes to mind, just because that is the only other hard rock band I can think of right now that has a lady lead singer.  (I mean, I'm well aware of other rock bands with lady singers, but this is aiming almost into metal, not just like Soccer Mommy using guitars).  One article I read compared her to Lzzy Hale, who is the singer for something called Halestorm, which I have never heard of before.  I'm okay with that.  I generally like it, but one of their songs makes me want to jump off the Goth Bay Bridge.

"Bexley" is apparently actually just the name of the lead singer - she grew up in the Seattle area and taught herself guitar at age 13 to play along with her favorite tunes.  She spent her teens playing clubs in the Northwest.  But then another article makes it sound like "Bexley" is the three piece band?  I dunno man.  Her name is Amanda Hardy, and then she's got Steve Costello on the guitar and Tosh Peterson as the drummer.  But the first EP, which includes the single below, was her playing everything except for the drums.  Impressive.

No real albums, just two EPs and some singles, but "Run Rabbit Run" is for sure the hit of the set.  266k streams.  And pretty solid rock and roll.
In that video, she looks like a teenager running a grunge game, but the photos on her album covers and other press make her look more like a goth metalhead.  But yeah, that song is good.  And now the comparison came to me - not the metal ladies, but Paramore.  That is the right comparison...

I mentioned the song that was no good?  That is "Misfit Love" and it sounds like something written for a bad Disney movie about high school zombies falling in love or something.

Their 2021 EP has four songs on it, and two of those are getting way more streams than the others.  This is "Sick."
Big fan of that initial kick off of the guitars just buzzing their way into your ears like a pack of bees hellbent on eating brains.  That jams.  Also, the drummer is a little maniac back there.

"If We Have to Die" is a little more alternative and trippy, but still with a breakneck speed.  BUt also very fun.  "I'm Sorry" has the fewest streams on the new EP, but it still rocks out.  The singing is a little more theatric than I'd like, but all good when the music tears it up.

Yeah, I'd absolutely go watch this live.  I wish there was more to hear, and that's a good sign.

No comments: