Tuesday, September 21, 2021

OMB Peezy

One Liner: Sacramento, via Alabama, rapper who maybe confessed to crimes in his raps

Wikipedia Genre:  Hip hop, trap
Home: Sacramento, CA

Poster Position: Late Addition

Day: Friday at 5 on the BMI Stage
Weekend Two Only.

Thoughts:  After listening to him for a while, the pitch of his flow becomes an issue for me.  I'm probably ten songs in and just noticed a slight headache forming.  Maybe has nothing to do with the music, but his pitch is high and kind of whiny in a way that is grating my nerves.  Kind of like Lil Wayne, but higher and with more autotune.

Weirdly, when you look for him on Spotify, there is another artist who uses the OMB start to his name, and yet they don't appear to be in some "OMB Collective" or something.  OMB Bloodbath just appears to also like that for his name.  Peezy says that the OMB stands for Only My Brothers.  He was born in Mobile, Alabama, but move to Sacramento and raised there at 12.  He started rapping early, and caught the attention of Bay Area rapper E-40 because of videos he posted online of his freestyles.

Real name is LeParis Dade.  Sounds like an even better rap name before he decided to change it up!  The dipshit is apparently a real gangster though, as he was arrested back in March for shooting, and wounding, two men who were helping Roddy Rich film a music video in Atlanta.  His claim is that this is mistaken identity, that he had nothing to do with the shooting.  "“I was just trying to figure out what the fuck was going on, why the police at my door for,” he said when describing the night that he was arrested. “Because if I done did anything, I would have been gone. If I was guilty of anything, you wouldn’t have caught me at my muthafuckin’ house, straight the fuck up.” "  I love that quote.  I didn't do it, because if I had I would be running.  As of July, he still has to wear an ankle monitor, so keep your eyes peeled for that on the stage!

A handful of albums, although I'm guessing that some of these are mixtapes more than official discs.  From Wikipedia, it sounds like 2019's Preacher to the Streets was his first album, and then 2021's Too Deep for Tears is his more recent disc.  His top track is from that album - "Big Homie." About 14 million streams.
Oh, hey, he's holding guns!  Seems like that isn't the smartest move and your defense attorneys might have a different idea for the theme of your videos.  He just rapped that he shot the wrong guy!  What an idiot!  The other top track is a 2017 single featuring YoungBoy Never Broke Again called "Doin Bad."  14.2 million streams.
Oh, he looks like he's 12 in that video.  Hear what I mean about his vocal tone though?  It's so high!  Which is fine for a little bit, but if you have to hear it for hours as you listen to the cats entire discography, it starts to grate.  YB NBA's tone sounds so much better in comparison.  I do like the beat to that one - classic sound.

He's fine.  I'll probably just eat dinner during this hour...

No comments: