Sunday, September 5, 2021

Moses Sumney (2021)

One Liner: Quiet, pretty, soulful guy with amazingly beautiful voice who bores me

Wikipedia Genre: Baroque pop, electronic, folk, indie rock, soul
Home: L.A.

Poster Position: 9
Both Weekends
Friday at 5pm on the Miller Lite Stage.

Thoughts: Was last here in 2018, and I wasn't very excited.

"Thoughts: Listened to this dude after SPIN had his album in their top ten albums of 2017 list.  Not my cup of tea.  He has a great voice, and the tunes are chilled and have a nice relaxed vibe to them, but it's honestly boring to me after a while.  One album, 2017's Aromanticism (which is a word that means the inability to reciprocate romantic feelings, which is depressing as shit), and then a new EP from 2018, called Black in Deep Red, 2014 (which is an odd title).  He apparently wrote the songs for that new EP right after attending a protest in Missouri after the Ferguson riots (so now the title makes sense).

The top track is "Don't Bother Calling," with just over 5 million streams (now up to 19.3 million in 2021).
As I mentioned in my prior review, this sounds kind of like Thundercat's tunes, where they are pretty and interesting, but they're just too light and I want to forward to the next song during each one.  I have no clue what an afternoon show at the Fest would be like with this airy, falsetto music competing against the deep bass of some other show at another stage.

He has an older EP, Mid-City Island, from 2014, that includes a song called "Plastic (Mid-City Island Version)," which is actually his most streamed tune.  7.8 million streams.  He has a new version on the album, at only 2.3 million streams (up to 13.1 million in 2021).  I'd tell you that the old version must be superior, but more likely it is on some Chill Mix playlist and has found streams that way.
Like a subway busker or coffee shop troubadour, gently trying to run heads over in a darkened corner.  I'm guessing the plastic wings are a nod to Icarus and his wax wings?

How about a Tiny Desk?
OK.  I mean, that is gorgeous.  That video just kicked me in the ass - I'm all goosebumps and wet eyes after the first song.  You should go watch that video, even if, like me, you aren't that into these tunes.  Hell of a talented dude.  Soulful, jazzy, ridiculously, effortlessly lovely.

That being said, I kind of doubt I'll go find him versus more exciting tunes at the Fest. 

Since I wrote all of that, he has released another album - 2020's grae - which clocks in at over an hour and 20 songs.  it is a lot of this same schtick.  "Me in 20 Years" is the hit from it, with 8.2 million streams.  Looks like it was featured on the HBO show Euphoria, which gave it a boost.
Yep, more lightly ambient music, beautiful singing, and I'm ready to skip it after the first minute.  Lyrically, its lovely.  Because I do freaking still hoard souvenirs.  But its just a lot here - too much is jammed into that stressful part just before the quiet at the end.

I hope loads of people go enjoy the hell out of him.  His voice is amazing.  But I guess I'll be at Tanya Tucker yelling yeeehaw!


No comments: