Friday, September 10, 2021

Aaron Stephens

One Liner: A nice batch of soulful tunes
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, but this is soul and soul rock
Home: McAllen, Texas

Poster Position: Late Addition
Weekend One Only.
Saturday at 12:05 on the VRBO Stage.


Thoughts: Not a lot of information about this cat on the Internet.  The music itself is really good - kind of a simpler version of what the Black Pumas are putting down.  One bio I read says that Stephens is from the Rio Grande Valley and grew up playing the guitar and writing his own songs from thirteen on.  He grew up listening to his parents' old Motown and Stax records, and I think it shows in a good way.  These tunes sound classic and his voice is really nice.

Two albums, 2014's Hard Times Straight Lines, and 2018's Focus.  I'd compare these tunes to Black Pumas or Gary Clark, Jr.'s style.  I mean, don't get me wrong, he's not as good as either of those two comparisons, but its in that same soul/rock field of tunes.  "Ready" sounds like some good, swampy, Robert Randolph-type stuff.  Good jam.  "Shadow" sounds like Clark.  His top track is from the old album, this is "Yesterday's Favorite (Old News)"  23k streams.
See?  Nice little groove.  Good voice.  A lot to like in there.

Here is "Ready," his most recent single.
That is just some fun stuff.  Feels like you could get down and have some fun while that tune is playing.

I sincerely doubt I'll be at the Fest on Saturday at 12:05, and would probably choose Sun Room if I was there so early, but this guy sounds good.  I hope he gets a crowd.

No comments: