Friday, September 10, 2021

Skyler Day

One Liner: Actress-turned-Swiftian singer.
Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia description of her musical style, but it's folky indie country-ish stuff?
Home: Georgia and then California

Poster Position: Late Addition
Weekend One Only.
Saturday at 12:05 on the T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts:  Her top song sounds really familiar, but it can't be, with only 4,089 total streams.  I'm sure I haven't heard it before, but something about it sounds like I have recently heard it.  After running through her music twice, I actually really like it.  She's got a Taylor Swift vibe on a lot of these songs that is very good.  "Honest" is a great example of that - confessional songwriting, pretty voice, low key little tune that ramps up as her singing does.

Very few streams on any of her music.  Kind of surprising.  Her sound is something that I could see being very popular.  But her top streamer is at 16k streams - "6 Feet Apart."
Oh no, the quarantine songs have landed.  Just kidding - not a bad song by any means.  Catchy.  And sad - I don't want to sit at the kitchen table for weeks and watch the birds be oblivious.

And so now I realize that this person is independently famous, without any of the musicianship.  She is an actress who was on the NBC show Parenthood and something on TeenNick called Gigantic.  Lots of other small acting roles - mainly shows I haven't heard of.

The top song on her Spotify, the one up there that I said sounds familiar, is "The Best Worst Thing," and I especially like when she thinks about how she should have punched the guy for being rude to a waitress.  4,089 streams.
Not liking the expressiveness of some of those lip synchers.  But I like the song.

Her time slot is unfortunate.  I mean, 12:05 on Saturday afternoon is going to get her about 20 people in the audience, especially when her stream count shows that she's not getting much play time anyway.  Which is too bad - I really like her music.  She should get more people listening to her!


No comments: