Wednesday, September 29, 2021

ACL 2021: Sunday, Weekend One - Schedule and Thoughts

Sunday baby!  Sunday can be tough - if you've been going hard for two straight days already, it can be hard to get up and moving with the same verve and excitement as the past two days.  And that is especially true when the schedule is packed and you need to get there for something first thing.  Last time, we were there right when the gates opened so that we could catch cleopatrick's set.  Which was soooooo hot.  And supremely awesome as well.  They rule.  Anyway, no worry about an early day today - I think we'll be watching some NFL into the afternoon on this day...  

A few prelude thoughts for Sunday:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
    • Honestly, sometimes those one liners are freaking hard to write.  Some of this music is super crazy forgettable and I just can't come up with anything useful to write.  "uhhh, another R&B lady with a pretty voice?"
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • Friday remains the empty day for first weekend - 28 bands on Friday.  35 on Saturday and Sunday.  That is jenky.
  • Only an hour for Duran Duran?  That is some BS.  How you gonna give Miley Cyrus an hour and a half and stiff the 80's kings?

Here we go:

11:45/12:15

Miller Lite
Deezie Brown: Bastrop rapper signed to Chris Bosh's new Austin label 
BMI
Jany Green: Happy hip hop and R&B
VRBO
Shooks: Maybe local rock that sounds like UK alternative
 Tito's    
Shields of Faith: Gospel
T-Mobile   
Allison Ponthier: Kacey Musgrave vibes on some indie/country tunes.

It's probably Ponthier as my pick for this hour, although I generally liked Brown, Green, and Shooks.  Not that it matters, I'll still be eating lunch somewhere awesome when these folks take the stage.  I need to think of a new exciting place for football watching, good food, and good beer.  We did that Pluckers down on south Lamar last time and it is uninspiring.  I need to do some research on other good spots down south for football and beer that feel cooler than that.

1:00
Honda
Mother Mother: Strange Canadian indie rock recently made popular by TikTok.
Tito's
Calder Allen: Complete mystery
Lady Bird
Jessie Murph: Generic pop singer voice girl



Nope.  If I had to pick one, I guess I'd try the Canadian tiktok stars over the other two?  Literally there is nothing online about Allen (or there wasn't when I wrote him up anyway), and Murph was one of my least favorite things on the whole poster.

1:45
Miller Lite
Sofia Valdes: Indie pop singer with a great voice
BMI
Public Library Commute: Alternative R&B dude making beats in his dorm room.
VRBO
Noga Erez: Dime store Billie Eilish


T-Mobile
Kennyhoopla: Blink182-ish pop punk guy.

Ehhh, again, not a lot to love during this hour.  Why are there so many R&B people on the poster this year?  I guess KennyHoopla would get my vote and I'd just imagine I was watching Blink back in the day.  And honestly, Erez is kind of interesting (and my one liner is rude) because while she does have one popular song that sounds like Eilish, she also has some interesting electronic stuff that is more her own.  So you can angle to her stage if you want experimental electronic stuff.

2:30
Honda
White Reaper: Glammy, fun rock and roll with a great live show
Tito’s Tent
TC Superstar: Synth dance party collective
Lady Bird
Tate McRae: YouTube star making pop after rising to fame from her dancing



White Reaper.  100,000,000%.

3:15/3:30
Miller Lite
Cautious Clay: Deeply groovy alternative R&B guy who I actually like
VRBO
Tenille Arts: Nashville country
BMI
Cam: Pop country singer, more on the pop end now, with a great voice
T-Mobile
Toosii:     Heavily auto-tuned rapper and singer who I've already forgotten while typing this sentence.         
Titos                                Ant Clemons: R&B singer who got his break with Kanye West

I guess Cautious Clay?  Just a wasteland of music on this day.  And pitting two Nashville country people against each other is weird, especially since they should be on the George Strait day!  Nothing in any of these five slots excites me.

4:30
Honda
Polo G: Melodic Chicago rapper getting honest in his lyrics.
Tito’s Tent
070 Shake: Depressing auto-tuned R&B lady.
Lady Bird
Band of Horses: Laid back rock forever.



Band of Horses for sure.  I tried Polo G again today and just don't get it.  I know he has a zillion streams, but it's just not great.  070 Shake has, for some terrible reason, gotten stuck in the AI behind my daily mix on Spotify, so it wants me to listen to her on my drives home.  Which is not pleasant.

5:30
Miller Lite
Chris Lake: Another EDM guy making EDM guy stuff.
BMI
Hardy: Horrific Nashville country.  Just the worst thing on the whole poster.
VRBO
Channel Tres: Mellow rapper who also happens to do some techno?  Yeah.
T-Mobile
Marc Rebillet: Comedic electronic YouTuber



Meh again.  A billion times over it would not be Hardy.  Redneck hell hour right there.  Maybe I'd go see if Rebillet is funny in person?  Not an exciting hour.  Might be dinner time right here.

6:30
Honda
Karol G: Very popular Reggaeton artist singing in Spanish.
Tito’s Tent
Lane 8: Perfectly acceptable EDM
American Express
Greta Van Fleet: If Led Zeppelin and Rush had babies and they rocked

Van Fleet for sure.  I'm excited to see them again.

7:30
Miller Lite
Erykah Badu: Legendary neo soul singer from Dallas
VRBO
Tierra Whack: Philly rapper with those tiny tracks now making good long raps
T-Mobile
St. Vincent: Quirky electro-indie rock

This is the only hour all day when they've put artists against each other who I really want to see.  As of now, I am leaning towards St Vincent.  But Whack was fun in the small dose I got of her last time she was in town, so I might be swayed into going back over there and seeing a full show (please God let it be cooler this year so that laptops aren't spontaneously combusting onstage).

HEADLINERS:
Honda
Duran Duran: Classic 80's power pop rock band with amazing videos
Tito's
Lady Bird
Tyler, the Creator: Very odd rapper, singer, and weirdo

Excited to see Duran Duran - I hope they've still got the chops.  And sexay dance moves!  And I'm totally up for wandering over to the other side of the park to see what Tyler is doing once Duran is over.  I don't hate his stuff, but it certainly isn't going to beat out seeing Duran Duran for the first time.

No comments: