Monday, September 6, 2021

Moziah

One Liner: Bedroom R&B with a weird song naming convention.

Wikipedia Genre: No Wikipedia, calling it Alternative R&B
Home: New Jersey

Poster Position: 19

Weekend One Only
Saturday at 2pm on the Tito's Stage

Thoughts:  My initial observation was that this feels a little like Khalid but without the killer voice.  He's got a good voice, but it's just not nearly as powerful as Khalid's.  But also, the beats/songs are not nearly as interesting here.  Sounds like I'm dogging the guy, and I don't intend to, but I'm working my way through his limited selection of tracks a second time now, and there was literally one moment that I took notice of so far - when, at the end of "Can't Stay in One Place", he made me laugh by singing "you need to chill the fuck out, negro," in a funny cadence.

Just one album - 2018's Dax Nextdoor.  And for whatever reason, five of his top ten most popular tunes are all named after a park in New York where the name of the song has no spaces.  So, like, his top track is "Madisonsquarepark," with 887k streams.
Nice enough voice, kind of gently cruising over the top of that basic beat.  Nothing really memorable about it.  Overall, 
some of the beats and tunes are just kind of jenky.  "JB, MI" stands out to me in that way.  Definitely sounds like he made it in his bedroom on a machine and then just went for it.

Marcus Moziah Guerrier is from central New Jersey, and played in a punk ska band in high school.  I guess that was before he learned to love parks.  He found a love for beats through Logic, and started making beats while studying drama at NYU's Tisch School of the Arts.  he got his degree and then started making music in earnest.

The second-most streamed, and the most streamed from the one album, is "Eastriverstatepark."  697k streams.
I can see the live show being powerful when he really belts out some of this, but it's not the cup of tea I signed up for.  I'll let this one go to someone else.



No comments: