Wednesday, September 29, 2021

ACL 2021: Saturday, Weekend One - Schedule and Thoughts

I just saw an article from CBS saying that the City of going to require every attendee to have a negative COVID test within 72 hours of entry.  Doesn't matter if you are vaccinated or not.  So freaking dumb.  They apparently have no qualms with letting 100,000 football fans pack into the Texas games without masks on, proof of vaccination, or a negative test.  But now they're going to make vaccinated people go get another test?  Why the double standard?  Is the University just too powerful for the City to mess with?  Or is the City lining the pockets of the test givers?  Either way, I hope ACL puts out a statement on it soon so that we know what kind of tests will be accepted.  

[EDIT - all good now!  Just a vaxx card will be enough!]

A few prelude thoughts for Saturday:

  • The comments for each band are those "One Liner" things that I added to my reviews. It helps me to remember who they are (sometimes) and provides some detail on the kind of music they play.  Every once in a while they make me giggle too.
    • Honestly, sometimes those one liners are freaking hard to write.  Some of this music is super crazy forgettable and I just can't come up with anything useful to write.  "uhhh, another R&B lady with a pretty voice?"
  • I've made each band name a link so that you can go read the full review and listen to some tunes if you are unswayed by the One Liner.
  • This day is significantly more full than Friday in terms of bands.  28 bands on Friday.  35 on Saturday.  That is weird.
  • The headliners have been pushed really far back this night too - Eilish doesn't even start until 8:30?  Last time, GNR started at 7:30.  Kind of lame to cut back her set to only an hour and a half.
  • Overall, not a great day for me - very few things on here feel important to see.

Playlist!

Here we go:

12:05

Miller Lite
Payday: Cringey teenage female rapper
BMI
Sun Room: California surf rock sunshine
VRBO
Aaron Stephens: A nice batch of soulful rock tunes
 Tito's    
The Spiritualettes: Gospel
The Mighty Sincere Voices: I haven't listened to this, but expect it is gospel.
T-Mobile   
Skyler Day: Actress-turned-Swiftian singer.

Sun Room is my easy pick for this slot.  I kind of doubt I'll be there so early on this day because the first few hours aren't firing me up in a major way, but they are fun and sunny in a great way.  Stephens and Day are also both good, if you're not into surf music.

12:50/1:00
Honda
Frances Forever: Bedroom pop singer with a viral TikTok hit
Tito's
Sir Woman: Half of Wild Child going out to do a new soul project
Lady Bird
Amber Mark: Soul pop and R&B like Norah Jones tried to make modern pop



Of these three, I think Sir Woman is the most enjoyable, but none of the three is a must see moment for me.  I still love the visual of how she got to the name Sir Woman.

1:35
Miller Lite
Gracie Abrams: Lo-fi bedroom pop of confessional lyrics from JJ Abrams daughter
BMI
Yendry: Dominican singer doing Spanish pop/R&B.
VRBO
Mob Rich: What did I say about MISSIO?  Annoying electronic/alternative pop?
T-Mobile    
Arlie: Bedroom indie pop guys from Nashville who make me think of the bad segment of Arctic Monkeys



Just a tough hour right there.  I guess, if I had to go do one of them, it would be Arlie.  But none of these struck any sort of chord with me.

2:00/2:20
Honda
Surfaces: Feel good pop heavy on steel drum and with that "Sunday Best" song.
Tito’s Tent
Moziah: Bedroom R&B with a weird song naming convention.
Lady Bird
Girl in Red: Extra-confessional bedroom pop



None of those are must-sees for me either.  My kids would want to see Surfaces in a heartbeat, so I may wander over there because of them, but I am interested to see the Girl in Red thing as well.  I guess I'll probably aim her way?

3:20
Miller Lite
AG Club: Rapper collective that reminds me of Brockhampton
VRBO
Katie Pruitt: Quasi-country singer with a great voice and very good debut album
BMI
Charlie Crockett: If Hank Williams Sr. liked to get soulful and bluesy every once in a while.
T-Mobile
Remi WolfFormer American Idol contestant who loves vocal effects despite a strong voice.               

Man, that is some BS.  You give me nothing in the last three hours, but now you stack up three artists that I really liked?  Jerks!  I think Pruitt is probably my favorite artists out of the group, but I think that AG Club would be a more fun show.  And then Crockett is also highly cool - I'd like to get to see him sometime as well.  Going to have to lay the choices out for my friend and see if he wants fun or good.  I think I lean towards fun.

4:20
Honda
Future Islands: Indie synth pop band who apparently loves OMD
Tito’s Tent
Lunay: Reggaeton guy
Lady Bird
Phoebe Bridgers: Melancholy indie rock music that still rules.



Simple.  Bridgers in a landslide.  Future Islands had some cool tunes, but I want to see Bridgers.

5:20
Miller Lite
Arizona Zervas: Massively viral "ROXANNE" song, ends up kinda Post Malone-ish
BMI
Gina Chavez:  Local Spanish tunes
VRBO
Missio: Annoyingly hip electronic pop
T-Mobile
Freddie Gibbs: The best pure rapper at the Festival.



Easy pick here too with Freddie Gibbs on the bill.  Dude can absolutely flow.  Chavez is talented as well, but I'm just generally going to avoid the bands where I don't speak their language.  The other two are not good.

6:20
Honda
Modest Mouse: Delightfully weirdo alternative rock
Tito’s Tent
The Hu: Mongolian metal?  I have no clue.
American Express
Doja Cat: Top shelf raunchy pop with raps that sound like Nicki Minaj

This is a fun hour.  When I started my reviews this year, I had Doja Cat as a zero on my ratings from one to ten, but after really giving her a shot, I liked her.  Kinda fun.  The Hu are going to be weird as hell and maybe awesome as well.  If they could have been during one of those unimpressive slots earlier in this day, I would have done that in a heartbeat just to check it out.  But in the end I'll want to go see Modest Mouse play.  They're legit.

7:20
Miller Lite
Jack Harlow: Goofy looking white kid who metamorphized into a legit rapper
VRBO
Dayglow: Great bubblegum rock from an ex-UT student
T-Mobile
Alison Wonderland: Massive EDM dance booms from an Aussie lady DJ

Dayglow would have been an easy choice for me before this new album, but I don't love the new direction.  So I'll probably go with Harlow and see what the kids are talking about these days and be the old guy back there yelling "WHATS POPPIN!!!"  Wonderland might be fun too - I guess we could do a 1-2 punch and see Wonderland and then Rufus.  We'll need glow sticks and drugs.

HEADLINERS:
Honda
Rufus Du Sol: Good dance house tunes from Sydney
Tito's
Lady Bird
Billie Eilish: Dark pop phenom at only 19 years old.

Ehhh, I guess I'd go see Rufus?  Or maybe call it a night and just head out to get a cheap drink at the house?  I definitely don't want to do Eilish again.  That show a few years ago was not my favorite experience.  But I definitely hope that everyone at the Fest wants to experience that same show again, but with some new lounge music songs from her new album, so that they leave my side of the Park alone.

No comments: