Thursday, September 19, 2024

CMAT

One Liner:  Irish power pop gal with a strong voice

Wikipedia Genre:  Folk, pop, country
Home: Dublin

Poster Position: Late Addition.
Weekend Two Only.
Friday at 2:45.

Tito's Tent.

Thoughts:  Not the Common Management Admission Test taken in India to apply to a management programme.  Instead, this is an Irish musician named Ciara Mary-Alice Thompson whose first album - If My Wife Knew I'd Be Dead - was released in 2022 and debuted at number one on the Irish Chart.

This has nothing to do with anything, but I just tried making mayonnaise for the first time.  It is terrible.  I think the cookbook should have done more to detail the proper type of oil to use, as this goop now tastes like solidified olive oil.  And it is very yellow.  Not appetizing in the least.  I need to smear it on a bacon sandwich now and then see what's up.

Anyhoo, she left Ireland to move to Manchester, England to pursue music with her boyfriend, performing together as Bad Sea.  She has since described that relationship as toxic and so she quit music for a while, but Charlie XCX met her and advised her to get back on the horse.  That has worked out really well for her, as that debut album won the Choice Music Prize in Ireland for album of the year.  I think her voice reminds me of Neko Case, and a little like Kate Bush.  Or am I hearing the Lake Street Dive lady?  I like it.

Lotta singles, then that 2022 album followed up by 2023's Crazymad, For Me.  Her top track is from that debut album - "I Don't Really Care For You," with 9.9 million streams.

Her voice is really good - has a cool tone that is a little old-timey and fulsome.  I've been letting her roll for longer than I needed to, just enjoying the vibe.  The top track off of the newer album is "Stay for Something," with 5,999,935 streams.  So close to 6 million I'm just going to listen to it seventy times and get it there.

Sounds like a War on Drugs song there at the beginning.  Or Strand of Oaks?  Never can really remember which one of those to invoke when I hear their sound.  Whatevs.  Her aesthetic is whack with the huge red hair and a gold tooth.  But again, I think her voice is really choice.  It feels caged in for a lot of that song, like she would love to release it but keeps it in check for us until the chorus.  Wikipedia says she has been described as a bisexual icon.

I can see her really banging this show out inside of the Tito's Tent - feels like she'll rip the roof off of that sucker.

No comments: