Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Cale Tyson

One Liner:  Fort Worth County Guy Gone Drum Machine Nashville/L.A.

Wikipedia Genre:  It doesn't say, but I'll say country, Americana, pop
Home: Nashville or L.A.

Poster Position: 25
Weekend One Only.
Sunday at 12:30.

T-Mobile Stage.

Thoughts:   Too bad really, because his older stuff is a really enjoyable Americana sort of low-key country, but his newest EP has the awful drum machine horseshit of modern Nashville smeared all over it.  I was enjoying listening to him yesterday when Spotify was playing some of the top songs, but now that I am hearing the entirety of his new EP I am definitely opposed.

His Wikipedia says that he was originally from Fort Worth but is now based in Nashville, while his Spotify bio says Fort Worth but now in L.A.  I don't know that either is better - which ever one it is has resulted in a soulless shift to commercial crap.  2017's Careless Soul mixes up some traditional country elements with some drunken barroom bluesy sadness.  Check the top track, "Somebody Save Me," with 279k streams.

That is a nice sounding little tune.  Love those organs and the background singers.  I could see shuffling across the dance floor to that one.  But then listen to the soul escaping his body on the 2024 EP If It Ain't Broke, here is "City Girl" with about 9k streams.

I do love that bedroom situation - I want windows like that all around me.  I'll also readily admit that the video is pretty funny - winking at what he is doing here - but still a hard no on country with drum machines.

No comments: